22.10.11

My Favourite Pancakes

This morning I was supposed to be heading out for a walk in a local garden with my mom (we've been trying to get together to do it for almost 4 months) however when we woke up it was raining and blowing and pretty miserable so we had to postpone again.

Instead I laid in bed a little extra longer and then decided I wanted a treat!  Oatmeal pancakes!

Have you had outmeal pancakes before?  They are SO much better than regular pancakes.  They have a richer texture, a deeper flavour and added benefit of having oats!

There are a million recipes out there for all kinds of pancakes, I'll share mine, but be adventurous and explore all that can be done with pancakes!

Our household tries our best to be vegan.  Well I should rephrase, that my husband IS vegan and I try my best to be.  It helps when I'm making a meal for both of us so I am forced to be.  Today's pancakes needed to be vegan which is partly why I chose oatmeal pancakes.  The combination of oats and apple sauce is just brilliant in these!  General rule of thumb for using apple sauce instead of eggs is to replace 1 egg with 2 tablespoons of apple sauce.  Also, this rule is really only for baking or quick breads where you don't need the egg to be the binder.
So here's what you'll need:
1 cup quick oats (I used a wild oat combination)
1 cup flour (if you're using WW flour, reduce by 1/4 cup)
Pinch of salt
1 Tbsp of baking powder
2 Tsp of baking soda
1 Tbsp sugar
1.5 cups almond milk
4 Tbsp apple sauce (or 2 eggs though I encourage you to try apple sauce first)
1 Tsp cinnamon
1 Tsp nutmeg

In a bowl combine all the dry ingredients

Whisk it all together and add one cup of the milk.  I like to save the .5 cup so I can get the consitancy to my liking rather than dumping it all in and possibly having to add flour or oats later.  We use Almond Breeze which is just SO good.  It has a very mild flavour and I promise you won't even notice the difference!!

Now add your apple sauce and stir it all together into a bowl of soupy goodness!


 Now for the magic!
I grate my own but fresh ground nutmeg and cinnamon will be just as good.  Grate 1 tsp each of cinnamon and nutmeg into the batter and give it a good stir!


Cooking these pancakes really doesn't vary from cooking regular pancakes.  Add some oil into a heated skillet and drop your batter in.  I like to use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to drop mine in....I don't know why, it's just handy and then I know they all be about the same!

Wait until you start seeing bubbles on the top of the pancakes and then it's time to flip!


Mmmm tasty and golden!


I usually preheat my oven to the lowest setting and pop the cooked pancakes in there.  I really wish that the internet was scratch and sniff so you could get a whiff of what I smelt when I opened the oven door.  It was like all the goodness of fall in one yummy scent! 


Once they were all done I cut up some apple slices to serve on the side.  I learned an amazing trick to keep them from browning - simply cut the apple in a bowl of water with a PINCH of salt.  It doesn't affect the flavour but stops the browning process completely!  It's awesome!  This trick comes in super handy for the lunch boxes I make for some people at work (more on that later).


Now you're ready to plate up your yummy goodness!  I sprinkled some cinnamon on my apple slices and that just made it divine!!


I hope you like this recipe if you use it!  You will find that these pancakes and way more filling than a regular flour pancake so start with a couple and get seconds if you're still hungry!  Also the apple sauce makes them rich and much denser than they would be without.

This recipe also lends itself to lots of interpretation.  You could easily make it gluten free by simply changing the flours you use.  One of my favourite way to make these is to up the cinnamon, sub half the milk for orange juice and add grated orange peel....OMGoodness super tasty!  Another option would be to use canned pumpkin instead of the apple sauce!!  Y.U.M

Hope you're enjoying your fall morning wherever you are!  I know I am!!

No comments:

Post a Comment